Parham and Nancy Callaway were new to the area when they built a cabin several miles from (what would later become) Marshfield. They built the cabin in 1853, and it stayed in that spot until 2009, when a committee raised nearly $20,000 to move the cabin to a park in Marshfield.
Category Archives: Marshfield
Earl Shields began Shields’ Pharmacy on the Marshfield Square in 1931. Shortly thereafter, he swapped locations with a grocery store next door to his original location—and then moved back. After expanding to both store spaces, Bill West bought the business in 1957. In 1976, West sold it to Jerry Counts, who owned it with his son, Michael, until 2008 when Shields’ closed. (Courtesy of the Webster County Historical Museum.)
A view from the air of Marshfield is shown from 1955. The photo appeared in conjunction with an article written about Marshfield that appeared in the Springfield Leader and Press. There are numerous Marshfield landmarks that are evident in the photo; from left is the DIckey House, the Methodist Episcopal Church, the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, the old Webster Hotel, Marshfield First Baptist and the Marshfield School.